Social media is one of the most powerful driving forces in the hotel industry today, playing a major role in helping consumers send travel photos, updates and reviews without planning their travels. The hotel industry is heavily dependent on the spread of words and ideas, and social networks provide an ideal platform for this.
81% of travelers said that when choosing a hotel, feedback was important.
About 70% of consumers said travel research had the biggest impact on shopping behavior.
43% of hoteliers believe that social media produces the highest ROI.
40% of travelers write reviews.
38% of US travelers use social networks to share their experiences while traveling.
Social sharing has a huge impact on travel reservations. Those who use sites like Facebook, Twitter, TripAdvisor, Google+ and LinkedIn to explore your travel plans:
52% changed their original plans.
33% have changed their hotels.
10% changed their resorts.
7% changed their destination.
TripAdvisor is for business
83% of respondents consult TripAdvisor reviews before booking a hotel.
70% of senior hospitality professionals say TripAdvisor is the # 1 site that affects customers.
51% of Facebook fans are more likely to buy the brands they watch or are fans of.
52% of Facebook users said they were inspired by their vacation pictures and travel plans.
79% of Twitter followers recommend a brand after becoming a follower.
67% of Twitter followers are more likely to buy the brands they are watching or fans of.
81% of US online consumers said they trusted data and advice on Pinterest.
About 20% of all social networking site posts come from Pinterest.
With all the information available, the real question is, "Does your hotel provide the maximum availability of social media?"
Here are 7 tips to get started with your hotel's social campaign:
1. Create social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Google+. Remember that Google+ likes are the # 1 way to improve search engine optimization.
2. Use your property logo for your profile picture.
3. Make sure you have a charming, visually appealing image of your property.
4. Make sure your contact information and website are listed on the page.
5. Make sure you use the "book now" button on Facebook.
6. Broadcast daily on all social media platforms.
7. Only 1 out of 5 articles should be self-proclaimed.